In Marseille, a city in southern France, a building fell as a consequence of a “gas explosion,” CNN said on Sunday, citing the city’s fire service. Rescuers discovered two bodies among the wreckage.
At least eight people may have been trapped as a result of the explosion in Marseille, according to previous reports from French authorities. It’s still unclear, though, whether the two bodies that were discovered have been added to the authorities’ total.
The building saw a tremendous explosion at 12:30 a.m. local time, following which the rescue teams and authorities started investigating the explosion’s origin, according to Mayor Benoît Payan.
According to the French Housing Authority, 179 people were taken out from the location, according to BFM.
The fire burning in the debris is making it difficult for the rescue teams to carry out their operation, according to French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin, who visited the site of the building collapse. He also stated that “about 30 nearby buildings have been evacuated.””
Darmanin further added, “Rescuers are also worried that any buried survivors could be killed by firefighting water.
The local neighbour reported hearing a tremendous explosion, followed by the appearance of dust in the atmosphere.
“It was both mentally and physically draining. I started running erratically when I noticed a sea of terrified individuals in the street “Witnesses told BFM this.
The Marseille Prosecutor Dominique Laurens stated at a press conference on Sunday that it is currently impossible to determine what caused the explosion and added that “the situation has not yet been stabilised.”
A gas explosion was one of the leads that was being investigated, but she added, “We can’t confirm anything at this level of the research.”
When grieving the catastrophe, French President Emmanuel Macron said: “I’m considering the affected people and their loved ones. There is still an inquiry going on with lots of resources being used. We appreciate the efforts of the firefighters and rescues.”
The Aix-Marseille-Provence Metropolis said that a fund of €100,000 ($110,000) had been established to aid the bomb victims, with the money coming from local government.
Additionally, it stated that a probe into “unintentional injuries” has been launched by the Marseille prosecutor’s office.
These occurrences are not new to the city. In 2018, according to a CNN story, a similar incident caused a number of buildings in Marseille’s Noailles neighbourhood to collapse.